Click here to complete applications online or to pay an invoice.
Residential Application Forms
- Residential Application
- Residential Fee Schedule
- Residential Submittal Checklist
- Residential Owner/Occupant Affidavit
- Residential Meter Inspection
- Residential Plumbing Worksheet
- Fence and Shed Permit Application
Residential Application Assistance Information
Commercial Application Forms
- Commercial/Industrial Application for Plan Approval
- Application for Inspection Not Requiring Plans
- Commercial Meter Inspection
- Pressure Piping and Medical Gas Application
- Plumbing Worksheet
- Electrical Worksheet
- Membrane Structures
- Sign Permit Application and Checklist
- Existing Building Instruction Sheet
For information on Change of Use and Occupancy or any other item not listed here, please contact the Building Division at 419.627.5940.
- Citizen Complaint Process & Form
The purpose of the complaint process is to protect the community, protect the department and to protect our employees. The purpose is also to identify citizen concerns and correct procedural problems if they occur.
- Above Ground Storage Tank Application
City residents that would like to install an above ground tank, a temporary tank, or remove an above ground tank need to fill out the Above Ground Storage Tank Application. All tank installations and removals shall comply with the Ohio Fire Code and applicable NFPA Standards. The Sandusky Fire Prevention Bureau shall be notified when acceptance tests are conducted on the tank installation and any future tests. For more information contact the Sandusky Fire Prevention Bureau at 419.627.5823
- Flame Effect Permit Procedures
The Sandusky Fire Department provides a checklist to assist performers with the flame effect permit process for the City of Sandusky.
- Food Vendor Requirements/Inspection
The Sandusky Fire Department is tasked with providing portable food vendors information to assure a safe working atmosphere. The City of Sandusky has requirements for portable commercial cooking equipment operated in the City of Sandusky. This is specific for portable food vendors using food preparation equipment that utilizes animal fat, vegetable shortening or such oily matter that produces grease laden vapors and using LP gas.
Ohio Fire Code Section 320
For questions, contact the Sandusky Fire Department at 419.627.5823.
- Public Health Information (HIPPA)
The City of Sandusky's Notice of Privacy Practices and Non-Disclosure agreement for those who may be a student, guest or trainee with other members of the Sandusky Fire Department.
- Vacant & Abandoned Building Program
The Sandusky Fire Department has made efforts to catalog and visually identify vacant and abandoned buildings. These are buildings that provide the highest safety/life risk to the general public. The building markings also help to identify the level of risk to safety service personnel who may have to enter the building in the case of an emergency.
Per city ordinance, owners of vacant commercial and industrial buildings are required to register their building(s) with the Sandusky Fire Department.
- Permit fee is due at the time of registration
- Vacant building inspections shall be scheduled through Sandusky Fire Prevention Bureau by calling 419.627.5823
- Applications and fees must be received in person or via certified mail. No emails or faxes will be accepted.
- Knox Box Rapid Entry
Seconds count in a life-threatening medical emergency or a fire. Yet many times, firefighters responding to an emergency find access blocked by locked entrance doors or gates. To help reduce delays in providing emergency assistance, the Sandusky Fire Department promotes property owner use of the KNOX-BOX® Rapid Entry System.
The KNOX-BOX® Rapid Entry System is a secure emergency access program developed for property owners and fire departments. When a fire breaks out or if there is a medical emergency, Knox® products allow immediate entry into buildings and property without forced entry damage or delay. Property owners store entrance keys, access cards and floor plans in high-security Knox-Boxes mounted near building entrances. Each KNOX-BOX® purchased by a property owner is keyed to a single master key controlled by the fire department.
All Knox Box products are Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) 1037 listed against physical attack as required by the 2015 International Fire Code and National Fire Protection Association 1.
With their new eApproval process, you can order a KNOX-BOX® online.
Free Knox Box Installation
Sandusky residents may qualify for a free Knox Box and installation through the Sandusky Fire Department’s Residential Knox Box Program (quantities limited). To apply for a free residential Knox Box, complete the application and mail to:
Sandusky Fire Department
ATTN: Residential Knox Box Program
600 W. Market Street
Sandusky, OH 44870
To be eligible for this program, an applicant must:
- Reside in Sandusky Fire Department's jurisdictional area
- Live in a one or two-family residential building
- Be age 55 or older or have a medical disability
For questions about the Knox Box program, call 419.627.5823.
Planning & Zoning
A permit shall be obtained prior to moving or demolishing a structure, building in a flood zone area, working in a city right-of-way, or connecting to water/sewer mains. Some permits may be obtained by a property owner or his/her authorized agent. Certain types of work cannot be performed without a licensed contractor. These are outlined below.
- Excavation or Sewer Building Permit Application An excavating permit is required for the installation, repair or replacement of any water or gas service, ($85 fee). A licensed plumber must install the water line. A permit is also required before excavation is done in a City right-of-way and can only be obtained by a licensed contractor.
- Flood Plain A flood plain permit is required prior to any building permit being issued for a structure within the flood plain areas of the City of Sandusky. The fee is $100.00 for residential and $500.00 for commercial property and must be obtained by the owner or his/her authorized agent.
- Highway Permit Highway permits are issued by the Erie County Sheriff's Office when hauling oversize loads.
- Right of Way Construction Permit
- Sanitary Connection Fee A sanitary connection fee is required for all new buildings or major additions or alterations thereto, and for any land or building use which causes the discharge (or additional discharge) of wastewater. The fee is based on the size of the water meter and must be paid for by the owner or his/her authorized agent.
- Sewer Permit A sewer permit is required for the installation, repair or replacement or abandonment of any storm or sanitary lateral. Sewer Permits can only be obtained by a licensed contractor.
- Sidewalk, Curb & Gutter Sidewalk, curb and gutter permits are required for installation, repair or replacement of a sidewalk, driveway approach or curb and gutter. This Permit must be obtained by a licensed contractor ($10 fee) or a homeowner may obtain a Permit ($5 fee) to replace a sidewalk in front of his/her property only.
- Water Tap-In Fee A water tap-in fee is required for the installation of new water service. The fee is based on the size of the tap and must be paid for by the owner or his/her authorized agent.
- Water Connection Fee A water connection fee is required for new services or to increase the size of an existing service. The fee is based on the size of the meter and must be paid for by the owner or authorized agent.