The City of Sandusky has operated a greenhouse to grow plants and beautify our city since 1908. While the original greenhouse was replaced in 1974, two brick buildings remain on the site that date back to the 1920's. The historical significance of Washington Park floral traditions are well documented throughout the last century. In continuing this tradition, city employees, assisted by dedicated volunteers and civic sponsors, generate over 100,000 plants every year with the overarching goal of providing recreational and educational opportunities for all.
The City of Sandusky is thankful for the financial support provided to make improvements to this facility, including the Erie County Community Foundation, The Kellogg Foundation, The Wightman-Wieber Foundation, The Frohman Foundation, The Mylander Foundation and Zion Lutheran Church.
Plant & Fern Rentals
Reservations for the rental of plants and ferns are available on a first come, first serve basis. Reservations can be made by calling 419.627.5895 or via email.
Friends of the Greenhouse
The Friends of the Greenhouse Committee was created to help with funding and maintaining the future operations of the Sandusky Greenhouse. Those interested in volunteering can get involved by planting flowers, performing minor landscaping in our downtown parks, watering flowers, and generally promoting our parks.
For more information call 419.627.5845.
The Green Fund was established by the Sandusky City Tree Commission in 1990. Donations for this fund help to revitalize our parks and public areas with new trees. Donations are tax-deductible and acknowledgments are sent according to the donor's wishes. Checks can be made payable to: City of Sandusky - Green Fund, 240 Columbus Avenue, Sandusky, OH 44870.
For more information call 419.627.5895.